Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Perfect Day

Yesterday I had an unexpected day off.  Those last minute kind of days are the best because they happen so suddenly that you really can't plan much. 

I slept in.  Best I could anyway between dog whimpers.  Valentine thinks you ought to get up when she does.  5:30-6 a.m.  Plus she is deaf so you can't even hollar for her to "SHUT UP!".  (Even though I do it occasionally to make myself feel better, but I wouldn't if she could actually hear me, most of the time it would of been just a loud VALENTINE!!! I love her too much to ever hurt her feelings) 

I did get up shortly after 7 a.m. and made some breakfast.  It was very yummy.  I got the recipe from the September 2010 Country Living.  Such a great magazine!  I highly recommend it.  It's so well rounded and not flooded with advertisements like some other's.  The recipe was Apple French Toast and it was for 6 servings.  I changed it up and made my own individual serving and good thing too!  I would of eaten all 6 it was so delicious!  Here is my version which is quite a bit different......and only served me~

Apple French Toast
1 TBSP Butter in a skillet
1 peeled and sliced apple into same skillet
sprinkle nutmeg all over apple pieces
Fry for about 5 minutes or until brown.
Add 1/2 tsp or so of water with a 1 TBSP of sugar and coat apple mix.  Keep frying until all water is dried.  Empty apple mix onto your breakfast plate.
Step 2:
In a bowl, mix 1 egg with enough milk until creamy but not too watery.  Whip good.  Add cinnamon and sugar (I just guessed at amount so add as much or as little as you like)  I also salted from the salt shaker so add as much or as little as you like of that also. 
2 bread heels from a loaf of bread.  Cut each into 8 pieces.  (I used scissors)
Let bread soak in egg/milk mixture until saturated but not so much it falls apart.
Add 1 TBSP of butter to same skillet you cooked apples in.  Once hot and melted add your soaked bread to the skillet making sure they do not overlap.  Flip when ready.  Once both sides cooked golden, then stir around in skillet until bread starts to look dry being careful not to burn (you may have to add a tiny bit more butter to keep from burning but not so much that bread will not get dry). 
 Turn out onto breakfast plate with apples and mix all together.  Eat as is.  No need for syrup or additional butter or sugar.  Very good! 
Serve with a glass of EXTRA PULP orange juice.
Heavenly :)

After I ate that I watched a kids movie on TV.  It was pretty good.  It was called Monster in the Lake.  That had my attention until 11 a.m.  I left the house and went shopping for outdoor lawn furniture.  We built a deck onto the house this spring and I would like to get something to sit on out there.  I met my son Cory for lunch and then shopped alittle more. 

I couldn't find lawn furniture but I did find a Slip and Slide that was on clearance so I purchased it.  On the way home I stopped and got a milk shake at a cute little Amish Store that also served ice cream.  I tried to talk myself out of it but it was so hot and sounded so good.  Plus I keep wanting to go in that store and have never stopped.  It was so very cute!  To make myself feel better I didn't eat it all PLUS I did have a salad at lunch. 

I took my slip and slide home and set it up.  They certainly are not as wide as I remember and definitely not recommend for grown up's (especially tall, over weight ones) but I had fun all the same.  I was careful and didn't hurt myself and mostly laid out in the sun on it but it was comforting.  Sounded like rain the whole time. 

Then my husband got off work and we met for dinner and went to the movies and seen Salt.  We like to watch movies and I thought that one was really good.  Good plot and it kept you guessing! 

Overall, a wonderful day. 

1 comment:

  1. This does sound like a perfect day!;)
    Zigsa howls at us every morning too, until we get up and give him a cuddle and his breakfast.:D
    I like the idea of having apple and French toast every morning... Yummy!
    I have just left you a comment on your previous post as well. Love the little calf!
    Hugs,
    Jo.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your ideas or comments!